Friday, August 10, 2007

Managing Multiple Large Monitors

The Coding Horror blog recently talked about the Large Monitor Paradox. They discuss a variety of difficulties associated with efficiently taking advantage of multiple large monitors. My solution is better than anything I saw there. On my desk at work, I have two large monitors, one is 24" and one is 23". My solution is that they are connected to two different computers. But they behave as if they are one computer thanks to the magic of Synergy. Synergy is a wonderful open source project that allows you to control two computers with one keyboard and mouse. It works with Windows, Linux/Unix, and Mac. It even merges the clipboards allowing you to cut text from one machine and paste to another.

This solution solves several problems. First, since you only have one monitor connected to each machine, you don't have problems with software not playing nicely with multiple monitors, and windows are never split across screens. If your monitors are large, you can have some of the problems that Coding Horror mentions with maximized windows being too big. In Linux, Gnome virtual desktops allow me to place windows on different desktops so I can effectively show/hide multiple windows instantly. This combined with the fact that I stick to a small number of basic window layouts means that I spend virtually zero time managing my windows.

On top of all this, I have twice the computing power that I would have if I was using multi-head on a single computer. This is very useful for me because the projects I work on tend to require lots of it. I do have to admit that money is definitely a factor here. Fortunately, it's not much of a concern where I work. On a limited budget the situation is a little different, but still fairly doable. Instead of adding a monitor, add a computer. Instead of upgrading/replacing a computer, add a computer. If you absolutely don't need the extra computing power or flexibility of having two machines, then two dual head may be the best for you. But at least be aware of the power of Synergy.

1 comment:

Sneaky Weasel said...

Nice thingy this Synergy. It would be nice if it also addressed the problem of accessing client computer's storage.